Summer is finally here! After a cold winter, it is finally time for days spent splashing in the pool and basking in the warmth of the sun. Keeping your car in top shape should also be a crucial part of your summer agenda. From driving to the lake or traveling for a big summer vacation, you need to make sure your car is ready for practically anything this summer. Performing preventative maintenance on the car before you leave will keep any unexpected breakdowns from delaying the fun. Completing these simple maintenance tasks with help from your auto mechanic in Phoenix before you pack up the swimsuits will ensure your summer is a success:
- Fill and check the tires: The tires are among the most important parts of your car. They’re always ready to speed off into the sunset or brake for a traffic jam on the way to the amusement park. But a set of worn or underinflated tires can lead to a devastating blowout. Now is the time to check your tires for any signs of excessive wear. Watch out for any bubbles in the sidewall, or low tread. Replace the tire if you spot any of these issues. While you’re at it, this is also the perfect time to check that the spare is properly inflated.
- Check those brakes: The winter season is especially hard on your brakes. The massive temperature changes from the heat to the freezing cold can cause the brakes to become weak and more prone to failure. Have a professional auto mechanic in Phoenix check the brakes before you head out to ensure they’re ready for whatever the road has in store.
- Check the oil: Pull out the dipstick and check the level and color of the oil. The oil should be a bright shade of amber and reach the mark indicated on the stick. Low oil can easily be topped off, but any dark or discolored oil needs to be changed as soon as possible. Plan to change your oil at least every 4,000 to 5,000 miles for the best performance.
- Beat the heat: The car’s air conditioner is your saving grace during the summer months. Similarly, cars rely on coolant to keep the engine cool. That’s why your cooling system needs extra attention during the summer. Have the radiator and hoses checked for any cracks before inspecting the connections. Add coolant as needed.
- Test the battery: Vehicle batteries are more likely to fail during the summer months. The hot temperatures put additional strain on already weak batteries. A professional auto mechanic in Phoenix can test the battery to determine whether it needs to be replaced before you find yourself stranded. You can also help by scraping away any corrosion from the posts and cables before re-tightening all of the connections. Be careful to avoid coming into contact with any corrosive deposits or battery acid.
Take the stress out of summer car maintenance by leaving it to the professionals at S & J Auto Repair & Rental. Call us today to schedule your seasonal tune-up!