Travel can be stressful for a wide variety of reasons, including being forced to choose which car you will rent for your trip. However, choosing a rental car does not have to be a distressing task!
Here are some simple tips to help you think through your needs and choose the ideal rental car when you rent a car in Phoenix:
- Think about your needs: Most rental car agencies provide a number of similar vehicles within a variety of auto classifications. These categories continue to grow more numerous as vehicle designs evolve and change. No longer is it as simple as compact, subcompact, midsize and sports car. So what exactly do you need for your trip? Luxury vehicles are nice, but if you just need a reliable vehicle to get you through your trip, it might not be the most practical or economical option. Similarly, it might be tempting to go with a convertible, but if you are going to have bad weather or have a lot of luggage or passengers, it likely is not a great option.
- Avoid big vehicles unless absolutely necessary: If you are concerned with getting the most economical option, you should do your best to avoid large cars and SUVs unless you are going to have a lot of luggage or passengers. Larger cars consume a lot more fuel, which will quickly add up on longer trips.
- Stick with a vehicle you’re comfortable with: Additionally, if you are used to driving smaller cars, you might be surprised at how much more difficult larger vehicles can be to maneuver. It’s generally a better idea to go with an option you are already at least somewhat familiar with, so you aren’t spending your trip worried about your capability behind the wheel.
- Ask about transmission options: Most of the rental cars in the United States are automatic transmission, because rental car agencies cannot assume people know how to drive manual. However, if you do prefer manual transmission, you should ask about options when you speak with the rental car agent. If you’re traveling abroad, however, you’ll find manual transmission is the norm, and you will have to ask about automatic vehicles.
- Have some flexibility with your choice: Ultimately, the vehicles you can get are limited to the selection of your chosen rental car company, which means you might not be able to get your first choice of vehicle. Generally you will be able to get a vehicle in the size you want, but you may not be able to choose a specific model of car, depending on availability. If you want a specific vehicle, it’s a good idea to check around with different rental agencies about the models of cars they have available in their fleets.
Need more tips as you prepare to rent a car in Phoenix for your next trip? Contact us today at S & J Auto Repair & Rental and we will be happy to answer any questions you have.